Spiritual Village Latest Posts

Search Spiritual Village & The World Wide Web

Custom Search

Monday, May 19, 2008

Ask & It Shall Be Given

Written by Andrew Khor

Wanted: An anonymous millionaire with a durian’s heart.

A durian’s heart? What on earth is that? Well, you see, the durian is the king of fruits in Malaysia. Its pungent aroma has been likened to that of the nearest sanitary landfill and it is banned from hotels and airplanes.

To ensure a stampede at any place, all you have to do is to show up with a basket of durians. The stampede will either be away from you or towards you. It all depends on whether it’s a busload of foreign tourists or a bunch of durian loving locals.

The durian has very sharp thorns on the outside. The sharp thorns are there to protect the durian from anyone who wants to overwhelm it. But get past the sharp thorns and inside you have a golden yellow textured softness that is prized by crazy durian lovers.

Most millionaires naturally have sharp outsides and that’s to be expected. Some of them I’m told have sharp insides as well. Well it is necessary. Bill Gates gets over 4 million emails a day, many of them asking for money. So Bill gives only to established charities. With over US40 billion in his name, he can afford to.

But like I said, I’m looking for an anonymous millionaire with a durian’s heart. That means, sharp on the outside but with a golden heart inside.

What’s the catch? No catch. My name is Andrew and at the ripe young age of 49 I started a holistic wellness center in Malaysia after spending more than 20 years in the advertising wilderness.

Now most businessmen will tell you that this kind of business is not one where you become rich overnight. And that is true to a certain extent. But my idea is not to become rich but to become abundant and there’s a difference between the two.

Being a millionaire has its own set of problems. Everybody wants a piece of you. People write to you asking for handouts. Charity campaign managers love you. Then you need bodyguards for yourself and your family. You get no peace.

A friend whispered to me that Ananda Krishnan, one of Malaysia’s richest men keeps such a low profile that only the bar tender at his local pub recognizes him. I don’t know about his relatives.

So I prefer to be abundant. That means to enjoy peace, good health, happiness and get an opportunity to be rich. One of the universal laws is that when you give of yourself, the universe rearranges itself so that others give back to you. That is called grace or another word for miracles. And I’m a great believer in miracles. So at the holistic center that I operate with other therapists, we give of ourselves.


The reason why I’m now looking for an anonymous millionaire with a durian’s heart is that we need to expand the business. We have been in operations for over a year and our meditation groups are getting larger.

So the Good Lord has said, “Andrew you need a larger space. And you need to hire people to help you. There are people out there who believe in profitable philanthropy. You need to send the word out. Let me do the rest.” Not one to doubt, like Moses I stand before the Red Sea and I am asking the waters to part so that the money that I need can flow to in to expand the business. I have asked.

If anyone reading this is interested or may know someone anonymous who is willing to help, please email me at myspiritualvillage@gmail.com or khoracle@gmail.com.

I’m not an orang putih (Malay word for foreigner) but once someone burped into my face after eating durians and drinking a carbonated drink. I’ve not touched a durian since.

No comments: