Spiritual Village Latest Posts

Search Spiritual Village & The World Wide Web

Custom Search

Saturday, June 7, 2008

In this Life, You Have a Chance to Take Stock

By Rich Brooks
In Herald Tribune

How do you know it's time to go?

In this case, "go" is a euphemism for death.

There are plenty of euphemisms for death. That's probably because talk about the end of life is uncomfortable. Euphemisms such as "kicked the bucket" and "bought the farm" help us cope with the inevitable.

Getting back to the original question, though: Are there signs or signals, like looking at the third base coach for the "steal" sign?

If that's the case, then did I miss it?

Maybe it's like the two-minute warning in football.

You'd see the clouds part, then St. Michael the Archangel would announce in a voice that sounds much like Charlton Heston, "two minutes. You have two minutes to put your affairs in order. This is your only warning." (Apologies to Bill Cosby for that.)

Like many people with ALS, I've been reviewing my commitments to those I love.

That's a euphemism for thinking about death. But, make no mistake about it, my commitment is to life.

I don't have a plan for my funeral, which should be something fitting for any head of state or dignitary.

Reviewing one's commitments should be part of one's routine, sort of like an annual review for your spirit without the raise or the angst. Call it a spiritual report card.

This is not a "one size fits all" exercise. And self-awareness is the key.

Here are some of the questions I ask myself:

Have I treated others with respect and dignity?

Respect for others reflects how you perceive yourself. Self-respect is a byproduct of self-awareness. If you don't know yourself, how can you respect yourself? And without self-respect, how can you respect others? How can others respect you?

Everyone deserves respect.

Tolerance is also part of my spiritual scorecard. Tolerance is part of what makes the United States so great. Religious tolerance is among the most important of our ideals. Without that guiding light we risk becoming a religious state governed not by laws but the whims of church leaders.

Tolerance extends beyond religion, and reaches into the core of our being, and fighting it seems to go against everything we know. From a young age we play with those who share our background and are suspicious of others. My son, for example, makes fun of anything, or anyone, French. He dismisses the French contributions to our culture and the cause of freedom. I hope he outgrows his myopic view.

Have I missed the sign that says exit now? I don't think so. I don't believe in pre-destiny. When I die it's because I choose to go.

No comments: